Nov 22, 2010

Ruffle Peace Jacket

I have had a plain blue hoodie jacket that I got from Target for $2 sitting in my craft closet for about a year. I just never knew what to do with it. Until last weekend that is! Here is what I came up with...








And before I explain how I did this, I made a ruffle on my sewing machine for the first time. I. am. addicted. to. ruffles. All I do now is look around the house and try to think of what I can add ruffles to! haha! And seeing as how I am the only girl in the house, there is not much that can be ruffle-ized. booo...

So, here are the very unofficial steps to make this jacket. I totally made this up as I went along and I probably would do it slightly different next time.


Supplies: jacket, scrap material, thread, sewing machine, sewing supplies

Steps:
1. I first cut my scrap material into long strips that were 2 inches wide. Why two inches? It just felt right!



2. Once cutting the strips I realized my 'just felt right' size was too large. Plus I didn't like all those raw edges hanging out ready to fray at a moment's notice. So I folded each strip wrong sides together and sewed down the open edges. I sewed with dark thread thinking it would add to the 'edgie-ness' of the jacket but I probably would have used a thread that blended better next time around.




3. I then sewed my strips into one long strip. Not sure I like how that long strip looked when I sewed the short strips together. I probably should have sewed the strips together before sewing them in half!



4. Now comes the ruffling part. WOOHOO! Setting my machine to the longest stitch length possible and making the tension super tight, I sewed down the middle of the long strip of material. This just ruffled the strip right up like magic! It was so fun! Seriously- if you make a ruffle and that doesn't cause you to want to just ruffle everything in sight, you might be abnormal. Or maybe I am abnormal?


**This picture doesn't quite show how ruffled this is. You will have to trust me that it was ruffled!**

5. Using your ruffley goodness, pin into a peace sign on your jacket. This was just took a little adjusting as I went and I used about a million pins so that way it didn't shift when I went to sew it later. I put the folded edge of the material towards the outside so that way the frayed edge-y part of the material was on the inside of the peace sign.




6. I then sewed the peace sign right down the middle line where I had previous sewn to make the ruffles. Don't forget to reset the stitch length and tension your machine!

7. Since this jacket was obviously for a girl, it needed a little something for the front. So, of course I thought 'MORE RUFFLES!'. So I made another ruffle strip and sewed it around the edges of the front, including around the hood. I am not totally in love with how the front came out, but I think it is because I don't like the color pattern I chose. I should have used more colors like I did on the peace sign.







And there you have it! A ruffle peace jacket just as sweet as can be!






I link up to these parties!

6 comments:

  1. WOW, you did a GREAT job!!!! Love it!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I wish I knew how to sew, there's just so many cool things to make out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this!!! Ruffles are so fun and in a peace sign make em even better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to turn an average hoodie into a one of kind designer creation.

    Thanks for checking out my paper wreath - good luck on yours! I would suggest having a timble to save your fingers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and I would really love it if you would link this upcycled craft to my linky party http://tinyurl.com/upcycled23.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dig this tute! My 8yr old daughter LOVES Peace signs and ruffles...This is a perfect Christmas gift for her! Thanks for the idea! Yours looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)